Bandidos Yanquis

Sunday, February 05, 2006

San Salvador, El Salvador

km 8500
¨Hablamos un pocito Espanol.¨ We speak a little Spanish now, but we have a long way to go. We finished our week of classes on Friday. We feel like it gave us a pretty good foundation to keep learning. About 90% of what we learned was verb conjugation. It will take a lot of practice every day to actually be able to use what we learned.
Besides language class we also took a Salsa class. I hope my Spanish is better than my dancing. Clay and I stayed with different families and had different teachers. I actually left one family because there were two Americans there who spoke English, and I wanted to only speak Spanish. The family I stayed with had two kids, 12 and 7. The food was really good. One of the meals was called Pache. It´s mashed potatoes with different types of chillis, and tomatoes wrapped in a banana leaf. There was a supper with the rest of the students (about15) on Friday evening. I was sitting next to a girl whom I hadn´t met, so I introduced myself and asked in Spanish where she was from. She answered ¨Yo soy de Belgica.¨ So we spoke Flemish for the rest of the evening. We´ve met one other Belgian, tons of Dutch people, and many other Europeans, Americans, and Canadians.
We left Saturday morning at 6:30 for San Salvador. We spent the first night at a cheap hostel near the bus station. We had pupusas for breakfast Sunday morning on our way to church which was only 6 blocks away. We met a family who took us out for lunch (more pupusas), and invited us to stay with them. So that´s where we are staying now. Another family member, Mario, is showing us the city. Apparantly it´s dangerous. Some people say that if you´ve survived San Salvador you can survive anywhere.
Pieter

1 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Nora and James McDowell said...

What are "pupusas"?
Sounds like a grand adventure and nice meeting helpful people along the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home