Bandidos Yanquis

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Still in Xela

km8001(still)
Clayton here.
I thought I had quit school. Every morning is five hours of intense spanish grammar and vocab. I'm actually tired by lunchtime. We do get a half hour break for some much needed coffee and pan(bread). It's actually a lot of fun. I even feel like I'm starting to understand a little. The teachers are great and it's been fun getting to know the other students.
They have an activity every afternoon. Yesterday we spent an hour in a natural sauna. Despite asking questions we weren't exactly able to determine how they actually worked. Basically the rocks emanate heat from the volcano, and little concrete rooms have been built for about two or three people to sit in. I could only last five minutes inside, but they have a cold shower outside the rooms so you can get ready to go in again. It's good for your circulation and your joints, at least "that's what they say".
Saturday's activity was the big enchilada. Woke up at 3:30 and began our trek up Santa Maria by the light of the moon and a few flashlights. At our first break Piet marked the elevation at 2308m. The four hour hike was more like a climb, especially towards the end. The path was winding, narrow, muddy and slippery, the grade ever increasing as you neared the top, climbing over and under fallen trees, grasping the wet rocks above; I don't hesitate to say that it was the most challenging thing I've done. But once you emerge from the tree line you can see the top, and that's the only thing that keeps your legs moving. Exhausted, sweaty, dehydrated, even a little disoriented, you stand on top of the highest rock fulfilled. It's hard to describe that sense of satisfaction. The summit measured 3776m, meaning we had climbed over 1.5 km straight up. And this was not all; looking down the south slope you observe a smaller grey peak, constantly emitting steam from vents in the cone. About every half hour the pressure builds until it sends out a plume of mushrooming steam and ash, really quite a sight. Unfortunately I had just put my video camera away when the biggest eruption took place. Maybe some things are meant only for the naked eye.
Pieter here. We were exhausted when we got back in the afternoon, but I forced Clay to go to a soccer game with me. Deep down I know he wanted to anyway. The team here is called Xelaju and they play in Guatemala´s Primera Division. They played versus Coban, and beat them 2-1. Two Coban players got red cards. The atmosphere is much different from Europe. More fire, and less singing. The fireworks went everywhere, including the stands, the lights and even the middle of the field. The fans gave us the opportunity to expand our Spanish vocabulary.
Clay again. My first soccer, er, football game, was pretty fun, I admit. Well, I don't want to bore anymore so I'll wrap this up. The family I'm staying with is more than I could ask for. The food is truly to die for, though today my stomach disagreed. Tonight we are going to Bible study at a Church of Christ that reminded us of home.
Once again, thanks for paying interest and sending us your messages. Muchas Gracias

2 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

Hey guys,

I'm enjoying reading about your adventures! Nice to see pictures too. Vai com Deus!

Pamela

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you guys are gonna have the adventure of a lifetime! I have enjoyed reading all your stories and will keep checking back. It is so great your doing this before you get tied down with other commitiments like wives (which really isn't that bad) and half a dozen kids to tie you down. Keep safe.
J'nea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home